Learn how to setup VMware vSphere Metro Storage Cluster using 3PAR Peer Persistence
Today, I would like to share with you how to setup active/active vMSC between two physical data centers using 3PAR Peer Persistence technology.
- Tested & supported configuration for stretched storage cluster.
- Active HA between two data centers from a Storage level.
- Automatic storage fail over & manual fail back.
- Same stretched cluster setup between two data centers.
- Supported VMware ESXi verion.
- Supported ESXi license
HPE 3PAR Storage Requirements:
- Supported firmware version running on both 3PAR storage arrays
- Peer Persistence licenses installed on both storage arrays
- RFC-switched, FCoE end-to-end, FCoE to FC switched, and software/hardware iSCSI SAN for host-array connectivity, and array inter-link connectivity setup as remote-copy-over-FC (RCFC) or remote-copy-over IP (RCIP).
- Round trip latency between the two sites must be 2.6 milliseconds or better.
- Install Quorum Witness in third site and reachable from both sites.
- All source & target volumes exported from the two HPE 3PAR StoreServ arrays & must have the same volume WWN.
- Zone/connect all hosts to both arrays.
- Configure all hosts with host persona 11 (VMware)
- Any IP subnet used by the virtual machine must be accessible by all ESXi hosts in all data centers within the Metro Storage Cluster.
- Create Remote Copy group per Cluster
1. Implementing vSphere Metro Storage Cluster (vMSC) using HP 3PAR Peer Persistence (2055904): https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2055904
2. Implementing vSphere Metro Storage Cluster using HPE 3PAR Peer Persistence: https://learnvmware.online/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/4aa4-7734enw.pdf
3. Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge (SPOCK): https://h20272.www2.hp.com/spock/
4. HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage VMware ESX Host Persona Migration Guide: http://www.hp.com/go/storage/docs
5. HPE 3PAR Peer Persistence demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eet92dOra24
6. HPE 3PAR Remote Copy Software User Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03618143