Deploying vRealize Log Insight 8.4 using VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager 8.4 on Windows
Hello everyone, in this blog I will be taking you trough how you can deploy vRLI 8.4 using vRSLCM 8.4
Let's understand what is vRSLCM and vRLI before we move further to going to the step-by-step deployment process
What is vRSLCM?
is a VMware solution which can automate install, configuration, upgrade, patch, configuration management, drift remediation and health from within a single pane of glass for the vRealize Suite components.
The vRSLCM is free for all vRealize suite customers with below features:
Starting with the release of vRealize Automation 8.0, vRSLCM will be needed for the vRA installation using the Easy Installer.
vRSLCM will use Locker which will allow the creation of certificates, importing certificates, and generating certificate signing requests.
Directory Management will be used for Active Directory integration
In addition, in this release you will be able to have a common VMware Workspace ONE Access implementation that will support all the vRealize Suite products
What is vRLI?
vRLI provides intelligent log management for infrastructure and applications in any environment. This highly scalable log management solution delivers intuitive, actionable dashboards, sophisticated analytics, and broad third-party extensibility across physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
- Rapid Troubleshooting & Analysis: quickly identify anomalies across infrastructure and apps.
- Scalable Analytics: build a high-performance index for scalable analytics. - Near Real-Time Monitoring: Monitor and manage machine data at scale. Analyze massive amounts of log data and achieve near real-time monitoring, search and log analytics that speed correlation of events across your entire IT environment. - Accelerated Innovation: as a service to unlock faster updates and new features, accelerating innovation. Plus, it includes integration with VMware Cloud on AWS.
Now, let us go trough how you can deploy new vRLI Cluster using new vRSLCM
vRSLCM System Requirements:
Minimum Software Requirements
vCenter Server 6.0
ESXi version 6.0
Minimum Hardware Requirements
6 GB memory
78 GB storage - Thick Provision
Supported vRealize Suite products:
vRA Salt Stack Config: Standalone
vRA Salt Stack Config: vRA-Integrated
vRealize Business for Cloud
VMware Identity Manager
vRSLCM supports the following vRealize products and product versions:
Supported Web Browsers:
Required Ports and Endpoints for Integration and Communication with VMware Services in Cloud
vRSLCM always initiates the communication to retrieve or to send data to the VMware services in Cloud. You can configure your network to permit outbound traffic and block inbound traffic to the specified port without impacting the vRSLCM features that integrate with the VMware services in Cloud.
Ensure that any downloads or API host URLs that are redirected from Market Place are allowed.
Required Ports for Integration and Communication with VMware Products On-Premise
Starting from vRSLCM 8.x and later, ICMP protocol must be enabled between vRSLCM and products that are being managed.
Ensure you have a vCenter Server set up and access to the credentials.
Ensure you know the Lifecycle VA deployment details.
- Download right product of vRSLCM from the link: https://bit.ly/3kq34EL
- Go to lcm-installer\vrlcm-ui-installer\win32 path
- Run the installer file in the folder
- Select Install Option to start the installation process
- Accept the EULA vRSLCM and click next
- Enter the vCenter Server details and click next and you are prompted with a Certificate Warning, click Accept to proceed.
- Specify a resource cluster on the Select a Compute Resource tab and then the Storage Location tab and after that click Next
- Configure the network and click Next
- Enter the vRSLCM VM Name, NTP Server, and virtual appliance password
- Set up vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager configuration settings.
Enter a Virtual Machine Name, IP Address, and Hostname.
Provide configuration information. Enter the Data Center Name, vCenter Name and Increase the Disk Space fields.
Enable or disable the FIPS Mode Compliance, as required.
Verify the details in the Summary page and click Submit.
Do the same for the IDM (Identity Manager).
Log In to vRSLCM :
After you successfully deploy the vRSLCM, access the vRSLCM using below link:
The administrator user name: admin@local Click Log In
Now, add new certificate in vRSLCM
Add the physical data center in vRSLCM from below menu:
Make sure the request is completed successfully
Now, let's go through how to deploy vRLI using vRSLCM.
Create the new vRLI environment
Select the vRLI from the listed available products
Select the vRLI 8.4 and choose new install and the deployment type, then next:
Accept the EULA and go through the configuration wizard and input all required setting
- Provide the vRLI license key
- Input the infrastructure settings
- Enter the Network settings
- Configure the Certificate:
- Enter the vRLI product details and add the required number of nodes needed:
- once prechecked passed successfully, proceed with the vRLI deployment:
(make sure the forward & reverse DNS records are configured correctly)
Once the new vRLI deployment completed, go to vCenter and make sure all the vRLI VMs were created and you can access and login to all vRLI nodes.
Useful References & Links:
vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager 8.4 Installation, Upgrade, and Management: https://bit.ly/3BRGnB1
VMware vRealize Log Insight Documentation: https://bit.ly/3peqEIS
VMware Ports and Protocols
Administering vRealize Log Insight: https://bit.ly/3jcwwhW
VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager 8.4 Release Notes: https://bit.ly/3DQvP5B
Working with vRealize Log Insight Agents: https://bit.ly/3BRulHK
Overview of vRealize Log Insight Features: https://bit.ly/3FZmmuT
I hope you find this post helpful and don't hesitate to share this post with your friends ;-)